Friday, November 20, 2009

Building a Character

Y'know, when I think about LAN'ded nowadays it is MUCH different than how I thought about it a year ago. What began as a cabaret idea is now blown out of preportion into a huge conglomerate of ideas that can't be encapsulated within a single show. Kyle and I have taken this notion and divided up LAN'ded main properties into several different facets of Imaginary Trends and I think it's all for the better.

The most useful thing we've been able to do the last few months were the viral vlogs that "Christian" would upload to YouTube. It's been a "secret" of sorts for a while but we're ready to really move forward with it and increase the cone of vision for this campaign. We've started uploading content twice a week to a YouTube channel dedicated to Imaginary Trends content. (www.youtube.com/ThisIsWhatWeDid) You can see the video blogs Christian does there. GO!

As I and Kyle have stated before, we're big fans of mimes. Why? I'm really not sure but I'll run with it. We've set up a separate channel exclusively for our Mime related shenanigans and you can bet that those shenanigans will intrude on Christian's activities. It's funny what a little make-up can do...

The shape of LAN'ded was once a square, taking place in a very regular space but it has since changed shape and it like an amorphous blob that can be viewed by any fan of any number of subjects. In doing the video blogs, I've gotten a much better sense of who Christian is, who he knows, what he likes, and what he is/isn't capable of. It's funny to think of this because I was always writing LAN'ded with me in mind for Christian, but having to actually go out and perform a him is another beast altogether. Though Christian and I are very similiar, we've many differences which mainly are attributed to social status and awareness. Many friends have suggested things for Christian to do, and most all of these things are fantastic! However, I need to carefully look at these things are determine not if I would do them, but if Christian would. I am not ashamed to say that there's been more than a few great ideas thrown away just because Christian wouldn't be capable of some of the things suggested.

In the coming months we're going to explore Christian's social fears and what exactly makes him want to stay indoors 24/7. Some of those reasons may surprise you, others will make you laugh, but most importantly it'll help you view him as a real person.

Hope you're watching, we're just getting revved up.

~ Aaron J.

No comments: