Monday, January 19, 2009

Opening the Vault-Tec vault and see what's out there...


Geez, there hasn't been an update since the 9th but an awful lot has happened.

We've made some dramatic changes to the story in terms of how this season will end and exactly HOW it will end stylistically. Dare I tell you all how it happens? Or should I just wait and see how it goes over? Hmm, decisions, decisions... I'll say this, it will definitely end on more of a cliffhanger now. Also, Ash and I are toying with the idea that Natalie often wonders what it is like to be real. That maybe she longs to be more than just a manifestation from someone's mind. Pretty deep huh? 

We had our first cast meeting last night at my house, all huddled inside my (now changed) dining room. There were about 13 of us in all. A spot of bad luck though, when I scheduled this meeting about 10 days ago I didn't think that the Steelers AFC Championship game would be scheduled around the same time. Aren't football games supposed to happen at 1:30 and 4:45? *shrug* Regardless, we were able to hit the meeting off right around halftime so I don't think anyone was too distracted by it. Steelers won anyway :).

Telling the cast what the show was about last night was slightly...entertaining, I think may be the right word. I know a few of them knew what the show was about vaguely, but they really didn't know the overarching plot and story. It was interesting to see what they found amusing and what they didn't. To hear some of their suggestions for what we could incorporate and pay homage to in the show made me realize that I definitely made the right choices in casting. 

If all goes well in scheduling, we'll have our first real rehearsal this week with the scripts. After some careful retooling, Episode V was given a much better structure and sub-plot. I'm pretty happy with it, and in letting a few of the cast read it last night it seems like they are too. That'll be one of the big benefits of having multiple eyes on the script I think. We'll be able to get a sense of what works and what doesn't almost immediately. I'd really like to get our Christian, Izzy, and Natalie all in the same room and just improv with them, maybe have them play a few games and watch Star Trek, y'know, just to see how they respond. 

The songs are really making me happy right now, and I can't quite put my finger on it. As far as lyrics go, I know they're going to change throughout rehearsal but for the meantime I am content. The most fun song to write for me is "What It Takes To Be A Zombie" which is sort of like a jazzy-50's number. It's a character song and knowing that we have such freedom in the show makes me believe that a song that ridiculous will fit right in without any constraint. Gotta love the imagination eh? :)

March 29th isn't too far away, and there's a long road ahead, but we're hitting the ground running. Be sure to check back later this week, we'll have some pictures up from rehearsal and maybe an interview up. 

No comments: