Saturday, February 7, 2009

ACTOR SPOTLIGHT - Alex Etling as Izzy




WHAT'S YOUR ROLE IN LAN'DED? HOW IS HE DIFFERENT OR SIMILAR TO YOU?

My role? Izzy? Actually, he can be very similar to me. I guess he's static though, so I should say that I can be very similar to him. When I am in certain moods (over-excited, happy, etc.) I tend to go into the little "fits" of over-the-top excitement and random ping-ponging thoughts and impulses that Izzy does. In that way, we can be very similar.

ROBOTS VERSUS NINJAS, WHO'D WIN?

Wow. I would have to say Ninjas. Much like the Tall Tale of John Henry (The Steel-Driving Man) I think that the human ingenuity and creativity and the ability to think creatively would enable the ninjas to win, but they would die too in the end. Not sure how...maybe the robots self-destruct, if that isn't too cliché.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ROLE YOU'VE EVER PLAYED? HOW'S IT DIFFERENT FROM IZZY IN LAN'DED?

I really enjoyed playing "Ethan" in The Full Monty. While he has some of the same innocence and youthful energy as Izzy, he is not as consciously funny. Izzy is more focused on being funny and making jokes, while Ethan is slightly more unknowingly funny. Still, they both seem like very "simple" characters, only in the fact that they like to have fun, and are not always overly concerned with issues larger than the world immediately surrounding them.

If you had an imaginary friend, what would be your favorite activity to do with them?

I would love to physically get into fights with them and take out my aggression, maybe even kill them. It would be tremendously therapeutic. Or perhaps completely psychologically unhinging. Because they would look exactly like me. Yeah.

What's the dorkiest thing you've ever done?

I understood a couple references in LAN'ded...does that count? Wow. This is a tough one. I mean, not a tough one to come up with an answer, but to choose an answer. Let's see. I played Donkey Kong on an Apple IIc. I used to carry tiny, TINY Star Wars MicroMachines in my pocket, everywhere I went. I am obsessed with different kinds of metal. I used to collect rocks. And stamps. And things I found on the floor of the mall when I was little. In little piles. I was VERY interested in rocks and minerals when I was little, and still have the (large) collection. I used to like bugs when I was little, and had little rubber actual-size models of them. I have seen most episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation. I cried in fifth grade when someone deleted my almost-finished Pokémon game. I thought that Zelda: The Ocarina of Time was EPIC. Oh, yeah, and I own an Ocarina, handmade of clay, and purchased at a Renaissance Fair. I play it sometimes. I will remember where the invisible floating blocks are in the original Mario game for REGULAR Nintendo, long after have grown old and forgotten my childrens' names. I once tried to take apart an MP3 player and fit it into a different case that I made for it. For a while, I tried to become adept with a butterfly knife. I make balloon animals. And I list it on my special skills. I replaced the hard drive in my iBook myself, a major operation involving a butterknife, and took pictures. At any given point, all of my music and files are backed up in at least 3 different places, and separated. Just in case. I am aware of the benefits of cloud-computing, and think it sounds like a great idea. Right now, my new obsession is "Sprouting", which is pretty awesome, in addition to being pretty dorky. Look it up.

No comments: