Friday, March 6, 2009

FOTO FRIDAY 3/6 - Unsung Heroes Edition

For today's FOTO FRIDAY I decided that I should highlight some of the people who've been instrumental in getting LAN'ded to where it is today. Specifically, Ashley and Jackie.

Though it may seem as if LAN'ded exists entirely within my brain, that couldn't be further from the truth. Like I've said before, it began as a two-act stage play and eventually morphed into being shot a la Dr. Horrible. The biggest changes after that came in the form of the ending and specifically, the character of Natalie and her overall arc. That's where Ashley came in.

I brought Ashley (on the left) onto the project around October or November. I had asked her to help me out with the reading initially but as I thought about it more and more, I knew that I wanted her to actually be IN the reading as Natalie. As I developed Natalie I tried to take in Ashley's input and her ideas and incorporate them into the story. The biggest idea that Ash had was for the ending, where Natalie is essentially replaced by Alyx, her real-world dopple-ganger. This changed the story immensely. Suddenly, the idea of Christian's imaginary friends having real world counterparts became a big idea. Were they somehow linked? Maybe it was a big coincidence? It all started with an idea, and we've run with it.

Ashley has always been a great person to work with, and I'm blessed to have her input in the project. Frankly, in rehearsals I really don't know how Natalie would have become who she is today with Ash's exuberance. 

Another person that I knew I wanted since day one was Jackie. You may have heard me gloat about Jackie before, and that is because she's just that good of a director. Also, Jackie is a recovering WoW player so I knew she'd have some sort of connection with the material. In the beginning I was balancing directing, writing, PR, and everything else for the project be
cause I was the only one in Pittsburgh close to the actual rehearsals. Jackie wasn't able to join the project until sometime after the 1st of February due to a show she was in at Point Park, but has since been at every rehearsal and things have been 100% more organized. Now instead of trying to put stuff up on its feet and also write/edit at the same time, I can sit back and see what works, what doesn't, and make edits on the fly more effectively. 

Jackie has one of the most difficult tasks on the production though, as director. Since LAN'ded is intended to be filmed, adapting it for stage can be a grueling task. Jackie has come up with some great ideas for incorporating the more "film-ie" aspects of the show for the stage. Given the fact that we'll be working with limited lighting and staging, her talents are a godsend and it's always a pleasure to work with someone you respect and are friends with.

These are just two of the many people who have contributed in big ways to our production. Everyone involved has played a crucial part in shaping LAN'ded to where it is today. Maybe I'll spotlight some others in FOTO FRIDAYs to come? Only time will tell...

Rehearsals start up again soon, expect some Spotlights and updates! Keep LAN'ding!

No comments: